Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Baxter and Zurich

Off to Zurich I went this morning.  Zurich is to Basel as Boston is to Providence. The trains run every hour between Basel and Zurich, so heading there for a meeting is no different than driving into Cambridge from the North or South shore.  

I met with global staffing leads to introduce them to our model.  We currently partner with Baxter US, but this was our first introduction to their EU counterparts.  They really like our model, and like Lonza, once we establish our office here, i think they'll try us out.  It's looking like 2014 is going to be busier than ever!


Baxter was about 20 minutes outside Zurich City center by tram.  I took a $30 cab out there and a $3 tram ride back to the train station.  I thought maybe the cabs were less expensive here.  All in all, you just can't justify taking a cab in Switzerland.  Certainly not your best option when the public transit it so great and affordable.  

I had a blast from the past too this morning in transit:


Gone are the days of freely passing from country to country with your only care being what pension to select.....but those were the days.  Michelle, if your reading this, we must plan an adult version of our trip some day.....  50th bday year maybe?

I also have to keep reminding myself that most food here, although delicious, can be deceiving, especially when you can't speak or read German.  Here I was thinking that I was buying a healthy lunch: turkey on a pretzel.  


Looks like turkey, right?  Wrong.  It's bologna and the pretzel has been smeared with butter, applied like you'd add hummus.  Dissecting it was messy, but in the end I got pretzel and probably only 1 pad of butter.  Not too bad.

I'm headed back to Basel now.  Tomorrow we leave the apartment for 10 days.  I have meetings in Paris, Madrid and Munich so I have a lot of packing and organizing to do tonight!  Our adventure continues!!

No comments:

Post a Comment